Monday, June 11, 2012

Guest Article on Food Prepping!


This article was so graciously written for the LadyCoats blog by Mrs. Stacie Chavez! She is a highly sought after personal trainer at a gym called Redmond Athletic Club in Washington. There is a common "fear" or "confusion" regarding food prepping, so I asked this babe to give us the deets! Enjoy!!








It's true- spectacular preparation precedes spectacular performance." ~ Zig Ziglar
What’s your excuse?
We all have them…Excuses! They loom everywhere in the nooks and crannies of our subconscious mind.  They are just waiting for that perfect opportunity to make their entrance into consciousness and wreak havoc on your best laid plans.  Whether it’s to make it to the gym on a regular schedule, eat healthy and clean, or just be productive in whatever it is you love to do.  You must prepare and plan to succeed.  Take it from a serial procrastinator: me!
When it comes to the wacky world of fitness and nutrition a lean body simply cannot have one without the other.  The two principles are married to each other.  There is a saying that I use often with my clients.   The only time you can outwork a bad diet is when you’re 16.  And you’re not 16!  And who’s kidding who here, I have had to use this tough love statement on myself a few times!
Today I’m talking about planning and prepping food for the week, but you can apply some of these basic principles to anything you need help following through on. 
First Things First: Picking a Day
Picking a day to plan and prepare is just as important as the prepping itself.  For me it’s Sunday.  It’s my day off.  It’s also a day that my family and I typically have nothing planned outside of normal routine & chores.  I spend the morning going through the paper for sales on meat, poultry, fish, fruits and vegetables.  This is also the time that I go online and look at some of my favorite healthy websites or favorite fitness guru’s to see if they have something new that I’d like to try.
Making a List, Keeping it Simple
I am a creature of habit.  I eat relatively the same thing day in and day out.  My shopping list is simple.  I NEED it to be simple.  I have 9 and 12 year old kids that keep me busy beyond belief, I have a busy personal training practice in which I tend to schedule myself back to back with little to no breaks.  Somewhere in there I need to work out, get dinner made, give my amazing husband some attention, oh and maybe schedule in some quiet reflective time for?  I KNOW this sounds familiar.  So getting my nutrition on a simple list has helped me keep focused.
You should dissect your list by store.  I have my list separated in a typed out sheet by what I need at Costco, what I need from a grocery store, and what I may need from a specialty store.  My list is filled with everything that I EAT.  That’s right I said it, I have two kids, a husband, two in-laws and a dog living with me.  They do not eat like me nor do I expect them to.  If my food is not prepped then I will eat whatever they are eating and that’s not going to work for me.
My list has all the fruits and vegetables that are important to me on it, I have included the meats and fishes that I tend to eat and then I add in the one-off’s.  I look to see if I need egg whites, or Almond Milk.  Do I need more oat bran, protein powder or green tea?  I make sure I am NEVER without green tea, dark chocolate (85%) or BCAA-g.  These three tools are my pre-emptive strikes to fight off cravings I may have at any given time.
You’ve Got the Goodies: Now what?
Unpack your groceries and before you start putting everything away. Start cleaning your fruits and veggies and then get to chopping and dicing.  If you wash and prep the food you are more likely to use it since it’s all set to go.  No sense in even buying the food if it will just go bad.  After you wash the fruits and veggies start chopping!  I chop up onions, celery, spinach (I don’t like to think I am eating a leaf so I finely chop my spinach), broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc. 
I love Mexican food so I tend to buy a lot of lean ground beef/bison and ground turkey.  I cook up my ground meat for a whole week so my nearly daily taco salads are ready to go.  For variance, I cook up at least one fillet and at least 2 chicken breasts.  Inevitably, at some point mid week I will have to prep another protein food item.  However, usually its steak and I let my husband take care of steak night J
In addition to prepping the meats for the week it’s also a good idea to hard boil eggs, package up protein powder servings and almonds for each day of the week.  Some people do enjoy a good protein bar as a snack item during the day.  I like to cut mine in half and put each one in a separate zip lock bag.  My personal preference is to get as much nutrition from whole organic food options.  It is good to pair ½ the protein bar with an apple or some fresh cut vegetables.  Having the easy to grab snacks already in individual zip lock not only keeps them fresh for the week, but only having the serving size amount on hand allows you to manage portions.  
The Good and the Bad
Planning and prepping meals ahead of time will allow you to take your fitness goals to the next level.  You will still have good days and bad.  You won’t always get it right, but the nice thing is the next good meal is ready to go.  Don’t be so hard on yourself. Hey, if nothing else, you know what doesn’t work. Failure is a judgment or evaluation of behavior. Think of failure as a learning experience. What did you learn from the experience that will help you in the future? A good friend of mine Co Creator/Founder and Best Selling author of The Metabolic Effect, Jade Teta says: Don’t be a dieter, be a detective.
Don’t sweat it, prep it!

No comments:

Post a Comment