Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Miss Veta Arteaga Gives the "deets" Inside Her MMA World!





My name is Veta Arteaga I’m 24 year old. I graduated from Minico High School in 2006. I work full time at the Head Start Administration office in Boise. I also attend BSU/ CWI I’m a "typical” girl who loves to shop and get dolled up before have a great time with my friends. I also love spending time with my family and friends and anything that is positive in my life. I come from a loving family with three older brothers, I love being the youngest and the only girl. I love trying new things. Unless you know me, don’t pass judgment, if you get the chance I bet you will be pleasantly surprised. ;)



Training facilities: Combat Fitness, Alliance Jiu Jitsu Boise 



Veta Arteaga… well, well, well… what can I say besides holy hotness with the 1-2 punch. This Boise area babe has earned her keep at Combat Fitness and Alliance Jiu Jitsu Boise. Veta is a force to be reckoned with in the local MMA and Jiu Jitsu arena and is about to spill the beans on her dedicated training…




Veta, what initially inspired your love for martial arts?
Growing up I was athlete I played t-ball and cheer. All through high school I played basketball and softball. So going to to a mma gym I knew it was something I wanted to try.

 You have swept medals on the mat in BJJ and rolled some heads in MMA, tell us about your accomplishments!
-As far as accomplishments I want to fight in the cage no later than this year. That is my goal and I would to accomplish it J another accomplishment is working my way to receiving a blue belt.


At what point did you realize your talent in the industry, and how have you proceeded in becoming Boise’s MMA princess?
-Haha, as far as talent I still have a lot to learn in mix martial arts. I knew eventually I wanted to compete. Especially since I have been training and taking the classes.




How do you maintain your athleticism off the mats? What is your typically work out regiment?
I try to work out every day, if I’m not training at combat or alliance I try to at least hike, run, hot yoga, and play basketball anything to make me sweat.


How does diet play a role in your sport?
- haha, Dieting can be a bit of a struggle sometimes. Growing up I was always known as the “chubby friend”. I eventually started paying more attention and time to prepare what I was putting into my body. I don’t deprive myself of food, but I don’t reward myself. I try eating clean as best as I can. I also started drinking more water. I find empty bottles of water everywhere! I want to walk around at 135 and fight around 125lbs, but right now I walk around 145-150, so I still have some work to do.


In a gym full of men, how do you find the balance of maintaining the female respect but still keeping up with the boys?
- As far as respect goes, both Combat and Alliance has such respectful and nice guys that I train around. They’re disciplined and hit me hard enough to become better, but they also know their own strength so they don’t underestimate me.


Describe your proudest moment in MMA/Jiu Jitsu.
- I don’t really have one quite yet in MMA since I haven’t stepped in the cage. But as far as Jiu Jitsu, my proudest moment was when I competed in Northwest and lost my first match in a gi and made a comeback and won first place in gi and no gi. Also when I earn stripes, I always feel proud of myself.


In the dating world, are men intimidated by you once they find out your sport is not knitting (hahah)?
-haha, although knitting does interest me, I don’t really know if it intimidates men or not. Most of the time, they don’t know when I first meet them, it’s usually not until they ask me if I can hang out or want to go do something and my reply could be, “I have to go train”, that’s usually when the conversation comes up. Usually it’s a surprise to them. Overall I hope it doesn’t intimidate them…but that could be why I’m single haha.


Veta, you are a true class act woman on and off the mat. This sport can definitely harden people’s attitude, yet you remain a humble, friendly competitor with incredible sportsmanship. How do you find that mindset?
-Thanks for the compliments! As far as balancing out, I have my family such as my brothers who always put me in my place if I were to act out or be disrespectful towards anyone. My family always taught and followed the golden rule of “treat people how you want to be treated”.


How do you deal with NEW training partners who mistake your gender for weakness and “go for blood” right away?
- Funny that you mention that! It never fails, If I ever get hurt, it’s usually by a new guy. When I first start with a new guy, I always ask if they feel comfortable being my training partner even though I’m a girl and some feel uncomfortable and others don’t…If anything I try to work more so with technique than strength, which overall helps me out.


What is your response to people out there that consider MMA a man’s sport?
- I guess overall people pay more attention to men’s sports than they do to something including women…including myself. I pay more attention to men’s basketball than women’s basketball, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t women out there that are just as talented as the men.


Who are some of your idols and why?
- As cheesy as it sounds, Freddy, my brother is my Idol over any fighter. He’s the one who got me into the sport and introduced me to the gym. I learn a lot from him. He has helped motivate me both on and off the mat. He helped inspire me to continue with school and other things like to buy my house. I owe a lot to my brother Freddy, not just because he’s family, but he’s overcome a lot in life and through that has helped me in so many different ways.


Where will we see you in this sport in the next 5 years?
- Well, right now…It’s not quite my time to shine yet. I’m still waiting on my first MMA fight, but overall I hope my name is out there for people to know who I am and for people to want to watch me fight.


FUN FACTS:



* Biggest pet peeve in the gym:
I have a few actually…One is I hate when guys burp in the gym like there’s not a lady present ha-ha. Another pet peeve is when people talk while the instructor is trying to teach us something.


* Describe your first day either in MMA or BJJ on the mat.
I felt a little nervous and excited at the same time. I literally sweat so much that it look like as if I got thrown into a pool.

* Any pre training rituals? 
I usually have a routine Monday through Friday. I work at a Head Start from 8-5. I go train at combat fitness right after work until about 8, Tuesday and Thursdays I work out twice a day. I work out on my lunch at alliance.

* Favorite color stilettos…
Oh man now that’s a tough one.. I love stilettos..but as far as right now my favorite color in stilettos is red.

* Favorite quote or motto to live by.
“Be the change you wish to see in the world.”




www.jiujitsuboise.com
www.combatfitness.net

No comments:

Post a Comment